Friday, July 4, 2008

More than we bargained for...

What's the old adage about “facing your fears”? We've only had our diesel truck and 5th wheel camper for about a month, and there are still a lot of situations that I'm not all that comfortable in. One such situation is driving on steep, curvy mountain roads. Yesterday we unhooked the truck from the camper and drove up into Rocky Mountain National Park. Today, we decided that we could pull the camper up into the park to the same place we went yesterday to do some more hiking before heading out for Wyoming.

Once inside the park, we missed a turn and wound-up driving much further into the mountains than I would have gone voluntarily. We finally found a place wide enough to turn the camper around at 12,000 feet. To say that I was “freaking-out” would be an understatement. I would have probably vomited had I not been so low on oxygen.



Eva and the kids loved the view, we got some fantastic pictures, and I was forced to face some of my fears. It's all down-hill from here (pun intended!).




1 comment:

Deb said...

I laughed out loud reading all this. If you couldn't breathe at 12,000 ft. don't go, I repeat, don't go up Pikes peak on your way back home. I had major altitude sickness at the top. I have all the pix you want and some real scary video. Ya know why they don't have road guards that high...it don't matter anyway..if'n ya wreck..yer gone!! Why waste the money. So Jeremy tells us.
Enjoying your blog. Keep it coming! Deb